Carolyn Steptoe speaks on issues affecting Ward 5 and the city at large.

http://www.vote-usa.org/Intro.aspx?Id=DCSteptoeCarolynC

Saturday, July 15, 2006

"What separates you from the other candidates? What will be your major focus to improve Ward 5?"


Campaign Release #4
7/14/06

STATEHOOD/GREEN PARTY WARD 5 CITY COUNCIL CANDIDATE
CAROLYN C. STEPTOE’S

RESPONSE TO EMAIL QUESTION RECEIVED FROM WARD 5 RESIDENT:

“I live in Ward 5 and would like to know what separates you from the other
candidates? What will be your major focus to improve Ward 5?”


Thank you for your email question. I am happy to answer it. Without having the opportunity to study their platforms, I would be rather presumptuous to attempt at this time to state what separates me from the other sixteen candidates for the Ward 5 council seat. I feel much more comfortable stating that for which I stand. I believe that there are critical needs of Ward 5 and the city at large that have for far too long gone unmet. Run-away development, the deplorable conditions of our public schools, the current aids epidemic striking 1 in 20 of our residents, homelessness, crime, unemployment and underemployment are but a few of the critical issues that the current crop of politicians seems unable or unwilling to address in any meaningful way. Let me just address the development issue briefly because it has profound ripple effects that impact some of the other issues I have enumerated.

I believe that urban development or revitalization must be undertaken in a manner that is responsive to the needs of the residents of Ward 5 and indeed the city as a whole. If elected, I shall work to ensure that the benefits of development touted by politicians, developers and other vested interests translate into a better quality of life for all Ward 5 residents and not just a privileged few. I am especially committed to ensuring that historically underserved communities and residents share equitably in our city's prosperity. Having reviewed numerous think tank and policy studies, I have an appreciation of the negative byproducts of unfettered development. I believe that it is not only possible, but a moral imperative, to foster responsible development that will increase the tax, improve the quality of life in our community, and bring sorely needed jobs without displacing or marginalizing any residents or subjecting them to disparate city services.

Kind regards,